Upcoming Events:


Community Meetings:

Friday, October 22, 2010

Sweet presser

So I got a call from Ms Sweet's rep asking me to a press conference today at noon. I didn't think I had time, but it ended up I did, so I went.

She was there to sign a "Community Empowerment Commitment" along with Supervisor Sophie Maxwell, YMCA director Juliana Choy Summer, and Kathy Davis of Bayview Hunters Point Multipurpose Senior Services. Kristine Enea showed up mid-presser, and signed on, too. Basically, they signed a pledge to work with each of our district's diverse communities to build stronger neighborhoods and to promise to listen to each community and understand its needs. Isn't that the supervisor's job description?

Dang! And here I thought there was going to be something juicy.

I did find it interesting when a neighbor from across the street came over and brought up a real issue of people rolling through stop signs near Jackson Park. He mentioned how, even though multiple thousand-signature petitions had been brought forward to get a stop sign at 17th and Arkansas, he'd been given the lame excuse about how it would slow down MUNI (even though there's a bus stop right there). Neither Maxwell nor Sweet had any answers as to why it hadn't been addressed!! Isn't this the "listening to the community and understanding their needs" we were there to talk about!?!

Signing a piece of paper means little if you're going to stand flatfooted when confronted by an actual problem.

Oh, and then there was Ms Maxwell feeding lines to Ms Sweet to try to placate the obviously unimpressed resident!!! Argh!!! Not impressed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this - it actually illuminated my fear of Sweet as Maxwell redux. We don't need that song again!

    ReplyDelete

Although you can post anonymously, I encourage you to post as yourself or under a pseudonym in case other readers would like to respond to your comments. Thanks!