Upcoming Events:


Community Meetings:

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Illegal Signs

From an avid reader:

"There were three Cohen supporters bearing signs across the street from the NABE, within the 100 foot zone. A poll worker came out and told them they were too close and should move. They refused. I came up to them to suggest that they just move a little, because the poll worker was correct, and they were breaking the law, but was immediately interrupted by a belligerent pair. They basically came at me with a barrage of nonsense from 'Our boss told us to stand here!' and 'What’s the law on political advertisements on TV?' (huh?) or 'you tell me where 100 feet is' to rants about political corruption, ironically enough. I just kept restating in different ways that they were breaking the 100-foot law. After a few minutes of that nonsense, I saw the poll worker come back out, ask them to move again, and told them he was calling the authorities. They did not move. I took out my phone to take a photo, and she thought I was calling the police (which I didn't deny, but didn't do). She repeatedly said to me, 'I'm not afraid of the police.' As I was walking away, the woman made a veiled threat, saying 'You'd better be careful, I might have to save your life someday, you know.' I asked her what she meant by that, and she said she's a paramedic or something. I asked what that had to do with anything, and she just said that being a medical professional, my life could be in her hands someday. Classy.

"I have to say the 3rd person quietly backed away, and by the time I left he had crossed the street, MUCH farther away. I don't think he wanted to be associated with them. I think he was with a democratic club which endorsed Cohen, but wasn't there specifically on behalf of Cohen. I say that in part because his sign had a list of candidates and issues, and also because he said something to that effect early in the conversation, much of which I couldn't hear over the loud barrage of defiant statements coming from the woman.

"Anyhow, about 20 minutes later, I drove by, and the two loudmouths had moved to a location farther away. The 3rd guy had not rejoined them, and took up shop on the other side of the street."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Although you can post anonymously, I encourage you to post as yourself or under a pseudonym in case other readers would like to respond to your comments. Thanks!