Upcoming Events:


Community Meetings:

Friday, October 8, 2010

Creepy

OK, so I wasn't sure how to deal with this, but after talking to various parties involved, I figured I'd write something brief about it.

Let me just start by saying, I'm a bit creeped out by one of you... This week, I received a plain manila envelope in the mail at my workplace, addressed to me in that bubbly kind of high school girl handwriting - I almost expected to see hearts dotting the i's. Inside, the sender had placed photocopies that they'd gathered together of publicly available documents from the Assessor-Recorder's office. These were things like tax-lien information, and the like, on three of the candidates for D10's supervisor seat.

For the most part, these things have been aired and discussed in the media already, and most of us don't need me to name yet again the candidates involved. There was no note attached to these documents, so I'm not sure if the sender wanted me to do some kind of exposé or some 'gotcha-media' piece or just wanted to make a point.

My first action was to contact the candidates to let them know that I'd been sent this information, and that someone out there was being all cloak-and-dagger about trying to do a smear campaign with information that we already have about them in the public realm.

Let's be clear about something here - this blog is NOT an investigative news site. I'm not Woodward. I'm not Bernstein. This blog is about connecting D10 residents with news that actual reporters write in their own newspapers in the hope that we don't miss something of interest. If reporters out there want to write more about the personal problems that one candidate or another are having with taxes or something else, then I'll post a link to it here make all of you aware of it, but that's about it.

So, if you see something in the news or upcoming D10 event that you think I might have missed or ought to mention, please, by all means, email me a link to it. But please, don't go looking up my workplace address and involving me in your skullduggery. Send it to Matier and Ross or Sarah Phelan or someone at the Examiner - because it's their job to investigate stuff like this, not mine. If they report on it, then I'll post a link to it here. But until then, take it down a notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Although you can post anonymously, I encourage you to post as yourself or under a pseudonym in case other readers would like to respond to your comments. Thanks!