Upcoming Events:


Community Meetings:

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Squeeky Wheel

I've often been told that the reason that the Southeast part of the city doesn't get the attention it ought to is because nobody steps up to complain.  Well, call me a complainer, then.  I believe that if you want something done at all, then tell the right person that it needs doing (even if that person is yourself!).

On Tuesday, as I walked to work, I noticed a huge dust cloud following a street sweeper on his regular run up Quint St.  Now, ordinarily, after the sweeper goes by, there are a couple of things one might notice: a cleaner street; a 'snail trail' of water; and not much else.  A huge dust cloud indicates that the driver is probably not using any water, and as there was no snail trail being left behind the vehicle, I assumed it wasn't turned on and was just kicking dust up into the air for us to breathe. 

Asthma rates in the Bayview are worse than anywhere else in the city, so increased dust is a real problem for many of our residents.  Knowing this, I wrote to DPW to complain.  Today (yes, ONE DAY later), I received a response:
The driver of the mechanical street sweeper was consulted on your complaint.  The policy is that the sweepers run with water and the driver inadvertently did not hit the water switch on this stretch of roadway.  Driver was counseled on the importance of using water during their routes.
The moral of the story: complain when warranted, and perhaps the city will listen and respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Although you can post anonymously, I encourage you to post as yourself or under a pseudonym in case other readers would like to respond to your comments. Thanks!